Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Don't be a Sellout!

What does that mean? Well, I am not sure what it means to you... but, I am talking about bands and artists that make music that they believe in early in their careers, and then as they get older, change their style completely because their manager or label tell them to. They are doing it strictly for money and record sales, and they are dying to be popular. Here is an example... Matchbox Twenty was a great band, right? Here is one of their best songs, "Push", and it became popular because it was a great song. Now one of the reasons the band did so well is because of the lead singer Rob Thomas. He was obviously the brains and talent behind this group. That's what I always assumed, as did the rest of the world. Boy, did he fool us!
The image “http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:gQPXQcCVCnsJ:www.all-pictures-photos.com/images/rob-thomas/rob-thomas-010-img.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.Rob has since ditched his bandmates( or did they ditch him? ) to become a solo artist. He obviously was not the talent behind Matchbox Twenty. How do I figure this out? Listen to one of his latest solo releases. It's terrible! He sold out!!! He might as well be singing about clouds and puppy dogs! His fan base has become kids half his age, and people that were in their early twenties listening to Matchbox Twenty should be sick!

Rob, please call your friends, and beg them to let you come back. Listen, they will understand! You must hurry, I am sure they are searching for the next lead singer, and I am nervous that they may pick some has been from the 90's to replace you. And I just can't see Mark Mcgrath, Lou bega or Ricky Martin being the lead singer of your band!

P.S. I will admit that Rob had one good song on his own.... "Smooth" featuring Santana. But I am sure Santana did not let Rob Thomas write anything. "Put the pen down, Rob!!!"

Any links to songs are meant for entertainment purposes only... if you like a song get an account at EasyNews, or buy the cd!

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

hey, you left a post on my blog, so i shall do the same for you!

your sites are pretty cool. i'm also starting to start life over, college kinda does that i guess.

good luck with the dishwasher fiasco-
i don't like them myself...can't use one either. oh well

tootles

9:58 PM  
Blogger Abigail Alexis~ said...

OK, well I posted something about this on my Blog as well. I saw Rob perform Live at a small venue, before Matchbox twenty was a big hit. I was a fan then, and still like Robs music today. I do like the song with Santanna. I can't say much more about the subject, without getting myself in trouble, because I know the Father of one of Robs old band mates, one that co-wrote a song with Rob, and I know that they had a big falling out, but are now talking again.:P Anyway, from what I know, Rob is a realy nice guy, and he is realy good to his friends and fans. I realy like his vioce, and I think he is a realy good singer. I haven't heard a lot of his latest songs, because I tend to listen to harder rock, but I do like some of the stuff I have heard. Anyway sometimes getting a record deal means selling out, and who can blame the guy for makeing the most of his fame. Well, I guess in the end, he will be the one who has to live with his dissitions, not us, so I say Rob, keep doing your thing, and If we like it, we will buy it. :P AB

8:37 PM  
Blogger djshawn said...

Don't get me wrong I love Matchbox Twenty, and mainly because if his voice. I am just disappointed in the style of music he does without the band.

9:09 PM  
Blogger youshouldntdothat said...

you have to really have integrity in the first place to sell out, and you know... matchbox twenty made good, catchy pop songs... but that's the whole point of the business of commercial music. That's what they did, that's what they were paid for.

They weren't exactly probing, boundary-pushing artists.

I just don't see the big difference between what rob thomas is doing and what matchbox twenty did... even if the talent level is different.

7:55 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

I'll admit to the fact I bought Rob Thomas's solo album. When I first heard the single, "Lonely No More", I was sickened. I thought that great songwriting talent had fallen away and wondered why all of a sudden Rob Thomas sounded like Justin Timberlake.

I do have to say after listening to the entire album, there are a few songs that I do really enjoy. I like tracks 4 (I am an Illusion - pop sound but dark lyrics), track 8 (Problem Girl), and track 12 (Now Here Comes the Night). I had also heard that all the members of Matchbox Twenty were working on solo projects and then would get back together.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home